Like many people, sometimes I get writer’s block.Â But it’s odd, because I’m not really a writer, I just sometimes have lots to say but not always sure how to go about it.
Recently, I came across this interesting article with 13 Tips for Actually Getting Some Writing Done. The article is technically for people who want to write a book or novel of sorts, but I find that it’s truly effective for just about anything you ant to write. Â I’ll summarize it here.
- Write something every work-day, and preferably, every day
- Even if you have just fifteen minutes, you can write something
- Don’t binge on writing
- Sometimes it’s easier to stop in mid project and then continue later
- Don’t get distracted
- Write regularly and frequently
- Just get ideas down, lot’s of great writing comes in the revisions
- Find a way to keep track of your thoughts
- Be comfortable
- Limit or eliminate interruptions
- “Wait” or do it “Now”
- Take a walk or read something else
- Have something to say
I would add a last item to this from my old public speaking days.
14. Write what you know about.Â Don’t try to write about things just because you think someone will want to read it. If that’s all your interested in, you won’t last.Â In fact, if you follow this one tip (#14), it usually solves most, if not all of the other tips.